To get you motivated and out on the road, we look at some of the best events that the UK has to offer.
One of the most high-profile races for women is the Race for Life, which takes place throughout the year at many locations across the UK. Visit raceforlife.cancerresearchuk.org to find an event near you.
Also see Olympian Jo Pavey’s tips for novices.
Running events in 2012
· 4-23 May – RelayGB marathon world record attempt across Great Britain.
· 9 May – Speedbirds Ladies 5k, London.
· 13 May – Ignis Asset Management Women’s 10k, Glasgow.
· 27 May – Normanby Hall Women’s 5k, Scunthorpe.
· 3 June (and every first Sunday of the month) – Alexandra Park 5k Women’s Series, Manchester.
· 10 June – Shock Absorber Women-only Triathlon, Eton.
· 24 June – Fullers Purbrook Ladies 5, Portsmouth.
· 16 September – Mums on the Run 5k, Waddesdon Manor, Buckinghamshire.
· 7 October – The Undercliffe Run for Women, Saltdean.
· 25 November – City of Salford Women’s 5.25, Manchester.
For a comprehensive list of running events throughout 2012 across the UK, visit www.runningdiary.co.uk